Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Name & Some Travel Plans


It has been decided! His name is Addis Hambleton Carpenter. Woo Woo!

I wrote a little on this a while back, but our process was as follows: We wanted him to have an Ethiopian name, but not one that was so difficult to pronounce that he would be dogged by it his whole life. We liked Mussie, the name he got from the police officer he was taken to after he was found, but even we had trouble remembering how to pronounce it, not to mention everyone who asked about him. We also liked Moses, the English translation of Mussie, but felt that while it matched his story, it did not preserve his Ethiopian heritage enough. So, we spent the last couple of weeks perusing other Ethiopian names and landed on Addis. It means "new" and is also the first part of the name of Ethiopia's capital, Addis Ababa.

The middle name is my own, and is a family name that has been passed down at least three generations and maybe more.

Regarding other things, we leave in less than a week! It is crazy and we are scurrying about trying to finish all the last minute planning, packing and buying. We were getting pretty bogged down by it, but I am thankful that we both came to the realization yesterday that we were losing the purpose and the excitement in the midst of the long to-do list. While we are still getting stuff done, I am excited that we have recalibrated our hearts and minds to prepare for this wonderful miracle! Even if we have a terrible trip, we are going to come home with our son and that is all that matters!

We leave on Wednesday September 10th and arrive in Addis Ababa on the night of the 11th. Almost immediately after that, we head north and then south to see Ethiopia and learn about Addis' country and culture. Not until Tuesday the 16th do we arrive back in the capital city to meet our little Addis. We then wait for his passport and come home about a week later.

We are not sure about blogging while we are there, but we are going to try. Stay tuned...

One last thing, the picture above was sent to us last Monday with the following update below. We can't wait!

“Enough is enough! Mussie is too nice! I heard he cries at bedtime when he is hungry, but I will believe it when I see it! We were staring in each other’s eyes and I tilted my head to the right; then he tilted his head! And then I tilted to the left and he followed! We both had grins on our faces a mile long! He can now ‘keep head level with body when sitting’ and ‘razz (make a wet razzing sound)’! Weight- 14.7 pounds."

9 comments:

Alex said...

I am so excited and happy for yall! East Africa is an amazing place and I wish that I could have stayed longer than the 3 months I spent in Kenya. Enjoy it while you are there. And Tom even though I havent seen you in years and have never met the rest of the Carpenters, I love reading your blog! What an exciting life changing experience this is going to be!

Alex said...

I am so thrilled for yall! East Africa is an amazing and I wish I could have stayed longer than the 3 months I spent in Kenya. Enjoy it while you are there. What an exciting life changing experience this is going to be! Tom even though I havent seen you in years and have never met the rest of the Carpenters, I love reading your blog!

Elizabeth said...

I LOVE the name--beautiful!

Randi said...

Your son is so lovely! His eyes just pull a person right in!
All of your kids are beautiful.
Randi

The Trone's: James, Misty, and Bella Grace said...

SO excited for you! Can't wait to see more pics when you go.. You will be in our thoughts & prayers.

Anonymous said...

I could not be more excited for you!!! Leah, thanks for the call the other day - fun to hear your voice. I will be praying for you all as you travel.
I love his name!
I hope to come visit DC soon
loveyoumeanit,
anne

Lea said...

Hi, my name is Lea Ann Wright from Greenville SC. I love Ethiopia and Ethiopians! I have traveled to Ethiopia twice this past year and have plans to go again in March. If you would like a place to worship on Sunday while you are in Addis, go to Beza International Church. They have three services, one is an english speaking service. The pastor is Zeb Mengistu, he and his family are close friends.
Abba Travel is a travel agency in Addis that can help book your travel in Ethiopia. They have 1/2 and full day city tours also.
I am so excited about your new addition and will be praying for your family.

Blessings,
Lea Ann

Unknown said...

Addis - I like it Carpenters! Good stuff.

mama becca said...

Great name, you know I love it!!! Praying for you...
becca