Monday, July 7, 2008

Zimmer Family Reunion or Bust!! and bust we did...



Need I say more. Now I will tell you this sort of incident is to be expected for the Carpenters. However, do not feel too sorry for us, we are not victims, it is just the very thing that makes our life so colorful. Like most Americans we traveled over the fourth of July weekend. Seating arrangements were as follows, Tom driver, Clelia shotgun, girls in car seats behind each front seat, Mom "riding the hump" (known as other things). After one hour of kids pulling on me, and fear of getting thrown up on I quickly made myself a nest in the trunk (don't worry it's an SUV). Tom made me promise I would tie a rope to myself and anchor it so as not to be projected from the car. We made it safely, minus one tire to Cincinnati in a mere TEN hours.

The reason, the Zimmer Family Reunion. The last time I attended this event I was about five years old. Zimmer is my dad's mother's maiden name and she is the only sibling who has passed away. So it was a packed house with many generations present. It was complete with games for every age, a trivia game laden with errors and food to feed an army. Over 100 of my relatives packed out this picnic ground, and I was quickly reminded the importance of cherishing family. It was surreal to see folks that I used to play with and watch our kids play together. A real gift to be able to share that with Clelia. One of our relatives was hosting a student from Haiti and they were able to converse in french.

The trip to Cincinnati was rounded out with a trip to Kings Island (another future post), a Red's baseball game and a world class milkshake from UDF. On the car ride home we managed to shave off a whole thirty minutes, upon our arrival into DC we voiced a desire never to drive that far again. I say for everyone to hear, I still do not want a minivan, the trunk is just fine, thank you.

5 comments:

mama becca said...

Oh no. You need a mini. Come on over to the dark side Leah! You can do it! I think the best part of this post is that you actually got out of your "nest" and took a picture of Tom changing the tire. Seriously, you guys are AWESOME. Who can NOT be friends with people who turn every situation into a party???
I heart you.
becca :)

CHRISTY said...

How fun, a trip to Cincy! I'm a Cincy native myself and the other day my father (who has recently transplanted to the Carolinas to be with us) and I were extoling the virtues of UDF Cherry Cordial ice cream. I always have to have a slice of Larosa's when I visit!

CHRISTY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Trone's: James, Misty, and Bella Grace said...

laughed again! thanks for ALWAYS making me laugh, leah! i think the latest post on my blog is the FIRST one that might make people laugh. i guess some have it others don't! ;)

Jana said...

Hi. I think you might know my friend, Lisa Lee. I used to teach with her here in TX; she told you you guys had a blog. Are you that family? :)