Friday, January 4, 2008

I Think I Am Going To Die


I don't know if it is the typical New Year's thoughts about getting in shape or if I have lost touch with reality, but about 3 weeks ago Leah and I found out about the Nation's Triathlon here in DC and decided we were going to do it. As of this morning, we are officially in the race. I am now terrified...

This is no big deal for Leah. She is in peak form, has run two marathons and has the drive and passion to train for such a race relentlessly. Yet, nothing could be further from the truth for myself. I am barely clinging to "normal" on the body mass index (BMI) scale and have not done any consistent working out for the better part of a year. Furthermore, I really don't like exercise that much. For me, sitting down and watching sports is far more appealing than participating in them. This is who I am and I am not ashamed of it.

Yet, I now find myself enrolled in an Olympic distance triathlon with my wife in September. This is hilarious and nauseating at the same time. The race includes a 1 mile swim, a 26 mile bike and a 6.2 mile run. Truth be told, I ran a sprint distance triathlon (exactly half the distances of this one) several years back and quite enjoyed it. But that was in the days of more exercise, more time and no children, so it is difficult to compare.

So... While I am excited about completing such a race, the thought of it right now is a little scary. However, I think I have the solution for the time being. Since it is a documented fact that sports are about 90% mental, I think I am really going to focus on the mental training for the next few months to get that portion out of the way. This will allow me to continue living a restful lifestyle and help me not think about the training that is to come. After all, I have 9 months to work on this thing so what is taking a few months to really get my mind right? Piece of cake...

I will check back in when procrastination and the realization of my out of shape body collide in a freak out moment in a few months. Until then, feel free to refer to me as a mental triathlete for now.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tommy Boy,
I think you should have started with the MENTAL thing in SEP. Good luck with that. Let me know how it goes. You need to start now with your body or YES you will DIE. Just to let you know that POTTY TRAINING 2008 has started and YES there will be T-Shirts this year. Have FUN..
POTTY

KCG said...

There is nothing ... do you hear me ... no-thing that would make me want to do this. Triathaletes don't look healthy, and that should be a sign that it's not a smart thing to do. They all look like sinew and bone. Can't you just do some pushups, run around the block, and call it a day?

mama becca said...

What if you're in Ethiopia during the time of this race? Hmmm... that could help...
becca :)