Friday, June 6, 2008

Dare I Say More?


The other day DC experienced some serious winds and rains. Trees in the back alley were bending to and fro, all the while Tom praying that one land on top of my car. Why you ask? Because Tom is convinced we will be the proud owners of a mini van. The only thing that stands between me and the ultimate mom car is the current vehicle I drive.

Hear me say this, the mini van is practical, affordable, spacious, and wise. I think folks that dig mini's are super, and do not question their personal enjoyment or navigation of such an auto. However, I can not do it! I will give up driving all together (ah the bonus of city living) and do without before I grace the driver's seat of such a car that strips me of my cool factor(or the one i pretend to have). Now I have been more than amenable to Tom driving that phat ride around town and have access to it when we need to make the ten hour car ride to see grandparents. But wouldn't you know that does not seem to be a good "solution."

I will admit I am too Eco sensitive and cheap to go for the Tahoe or Suburban, not to mention the cost of gas would limit us to one tank every other month. So if you have a workable compromise to our predicament we are open to suggestions. This is not a fight in our house, but could be if pushed to test a towne and country. Please tell me you've seen the video of "mom my ride." I can see the mystery sippy cups growing underneath my seats as I type.

9 comments:

Dr. K.Lo said...

oh Leah- do you not realize? YOU make the ride cool, not the other way around. So put your hip self in the 'not-momma-van' and the whole block will go buy one!

Lara said...

Leah, Don't give in. Stand your ground. Around Christmastime in the middle of a busy errand day in the pouring rain, some idiot in a monster of a truck decided to park way too close to my pathfinder and I couldn't get Avery who was strapped in her little infant seat into the car. It was a mess. Then Austin called with 2 choices for my next demo...another pathfinder or a minivan. Me: "does the minivan have a DVD player? Austin: "Yes" Me: "Minivan, I'm not scared" And so I gave in and although we drive demo's and it's not a decision I was ever going to be "stuck with", I did instantly feel not as cool as I once was...although I was apt to speed more in my minivan thinking "what cop is going to pull over a mom in a minivan" Even though it had a zillion great features, and I did fit in more with the other vehicles at Mother's Day Out, I was very happy when the time came to turn in the family truckster.

The Trone's: James, Misty, and Bella Grace said...

hilarious, leah!

Unknown said...

you could always go for a station wagon...

mama becca said...

I love my van! I agree- YOU make it cool, my dear. Remember- it's symbolic- you're going to have THREE kids!!! the van is a big cool symbol! yes! You have to psych yourself out! (just so you know, Zach thinks it's super cool, and I just think it's kind of cool). And we have an old nasty one... what if you got a super awesome one?????
go for it- feel no shame!

Carpenter Family said...

i agree i would do everything in my power to make it cool, but i am not sure i have enjoy mojo to pull it off!

Olivia said...

I love your blog! Sounds like you all are staying busy. We gave in and got the mini van a year ago. I too felt like I am not really cool, so my thought was this...put a "cool" bumpersticker on it, you'll feel a little better.
:)Olivia O.

JTP said...

The funniest part to me is that Tom wants it :-) You should get a fun, hip car- say a mini convertible and let Tom drive the minivan :-)

I will say though the Honda Oddessey is a sweet ride...for a minivan.

Carpenter Family said...

thank you for your thoughts and suggestions, i am saddened to tell you that my current ride is in the shop and they may have to put her down....
my stomach and ego wait in the balance...
i don't have to tell you my husband is grinning ear to ear